Dry mill – Kikinda (Nagykikinda)
Kikinda was completely destroyed during the Turkish Occupation, and from 1751 it was repopulated with Serbian, German and Hungarian settlers. Here, to start with, the population also built dry mills. The first accurate data is from 1781, when 17 dry mills were grinding in the town, then the map of 1847 already shows 51 dry mills, but in the second half of the 19th century windmills were also built.
The history of the only still existing dry mill in Kikinda is rather unusual. The mills were usually built by a wealthier burgher with a millwright and then rented to a miller. At the end of the 19th century, a new form of mill construction appeared in today’s Vojvodina which was cooperative mill construction. In 1899 in Kikinda a group of 30 farmers formed a milling cooperative, all living next to each other in the area that was then called the 2nd quarter. First they borrowed money to purchase the building materials and parts of a dry mill standing there. This dry mill was then re-built in August 1899 in Kikinda.
The association subsequently disintegrated because they could not find a properly qualified miller for the mill, so in 1907 the mill was sold by the remaining 6 members to Fábián Krümmer, an experienced miller from an old miller family. His family operated the dry mill until its nationalization in 1945, the last miller being Gáspár Krümmer.